How to Make an Insult Legato

My piano teacher is a really talented old Russian lady. She’s also rather mean. I suppose that’s what happens when you grow up in a country that bans Christmas – you learn to be a little tougher around the edges, and you learn a variety of backhanded compliments.

There’s what I call the “Charlie Brown.”

Because she gives you something you want…

…And then takes it away.

There’s also the classic “Insult?”

And then there’s finally, “Resignation.”

In all honesty though, I wouldn’t practice nearly as much if she didn’t scare the dickens out of me. So, at least there’s that.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Human Interactions, Observations and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to How to Make an Insult Legato

1. puzzle says:

must keep in mind – “backhanded compliments”…

2. Anne Schilde says:

You’re going through this now! That’s so cool! I went through this at six when I was required to respect her. I can’t even imagine it now!

“Yes, yes, you’ve drawn all the correct notes…”

Just messing. :) The piano hooked me in a second! ♥

This totally reminded me of my first ever story, in which I wrote a story that my teacher made me read aloud to the class… to illustrate to them why fiction shouldn’t be boring.

3. hahahaha you nailed the old piano teacher mannerisms. Why are they all like that??

4. I think it’s a requirement for good music teachers to be scary. Otherwise, who would practice?

5. occhiblusf says:

I once dated a Russian man. We went out to hear live blues and jazz music, and when the band asked for requests, he yelled, “I am Russian! I want to hear more blues! You need to play sad songs for the Russian!”

6. westonomy says:

My piano teacher is from Poland, same idea I think. Her tactic is to wax poetic about how her prized 6 year old student plays the piece I just hammered out. Ouch. (You look like a girl in that dress. PRICELESS!)

7. Michelle Gillies says:

“You look like a girl in that dress”. Heheheheh! Crazy Russian Lady. :-)

8. The Amused Onlooker says:

I was once told by my teacher, “You sound like a student.” Um… What exactly does THAT mean?

I fought back against piano teachers everywhere. Because I killed mine.

As an adult I took up piano for the first time. My teacher died an hour after my last lesson — truly. I think he had heard “Oh When The Saints Go Marchin’ In” once too often.

10. aimizz says:

I know the feeling; the desire to impress your piano teacher which rarely ever happens(or maybe never). Hmmm, but anyway, love the post! :D