Random Facts About Me You Never Asked For

I thought maybe I should properly introduce myself to you all. I’m Rae, and here’s all you need to know.

• I’ve never owned an Ozzy Osbourne record, but for some reason when I wake up in the morning I usually have Mr. Crowley stuck in my head. I hope it means one day I will fool all the people with magic.
  • I read a lot and when I was a kid I used to be embarrassed about it (when I bought books at my school’s book fair and kids gave me weird looks I would say I was buying them for my “friends,” like they were condoms or something). The last few years I’ve had a goal of 60 books a year. If you have any recommendations for my next book, let me know (I’m generally not into mysteries, unless the detective carries a longbow, then I might make an exception).
  • Despite my blog’s title, I’m not a “cougar.” I’m in my late-20s, since you were wondering. I’m convinced cougars (aka mountain lions) slept outside my bedroom window when I was a kid, which is where that comes from.
  • I hate peas. I have a post done about it, but I don’t like the way the pictures turned out. I might post it tomorrow anyway though since I’ll be working on a Friday treat for you all tonight.
  • I have a tall ship tattoo on one of my ankles. (No, it doesn’t mean anything.) If I ever get successful enough to not have to work in an office everyday, I plan on getting another tall ship tattoo on the other ankle, only it will be getting torn about by either a kraken or a sea dragon. I haven’t decided yet.
  • You guys will find it HILARIOUS to know that I’m actually a certified copyeditor and I had TYPOS in my flowchart. Ah, the irony! But seriously, I finished that thing late in the night and thought five people would see it, so I didn’t check for typos. Also, I’m crap at catching my own mistakes anyway.
  • Are you bored of this list yet?
  • I’m lactose intolerant and I get really grossed out whenever I see a cup of milk – it kind of makes me gag. Cheese is okay.
  • I’m married and I have two cats, Hang Time and Wizard. I don’t have any kids, so you won’t be seeing any stories about how my child won’t be potty-trained, but I may occasionally write about how my cats can tell time.
  • I don’t get American Idol. So sorry, I won’t be doing any recaps here.
  • I live in the Bay Area and I’m always paranoid about an earthquake hitting while I’m on the Bay Bridge. You know in Raiders of the Lost Ark* when they are trying to outrace the boulder? Driving across the bridge is like that for me, I’m always looking in my rearview mirror expecting to see it collapsing behind me.
  • I probably write too many bullet points when I make “about me” lists.

And that’s it!

*I first said The Temple of Doom and one of my knowledgeable readers corrected me. I  combined the boulder scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark with the mine cart scene from Temple of Doom in my head. How embarrassing.

This entry was posted in Human Interactions and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Random Facts About Me You Never Asked For

1. Maria says:

That’s pretty good. I’m glad you spoke out about the peas. My husband mumbled “I hate peas” one day (after 5+ years of marriage) and I only heard because I asked him to speak louder. I’ve been telling strangers his story for 20 years.

2. Tania says:

I’m glad you explained the title of your blog. I couldn’t for the life of me get the Peas and Cougars connection. Clever and mysterious! I, too, have that particular fear of crossing long bridges, and do the rearview mirror check. And I occasionally miss my own typos. Love your stuff!

3. Kriss says:

Send all unwanted peas my way. LOVE them. Have you read The Poisonwood Bible yet? Brilliant. Only book I`ve ever finished and started re-reading immediately, and got more out of it the second time. Be patient with it at first. It pays off. Especially if you know anything about anthropology, or the political situation in the Congo.

4. Tsk, tsk. It’s in Raiders of the Lost Ark that Indy races the boulder in the cave. Though it is true in Temple of Doom that he’s on a collapsing bridge over a chasm.

5. Alice says:

I could be described as a “Cougar”. My husband, of almost 20 years, is 10 years younger than I. I love peas, especially when they are cooked in my husband’s Keema recipe, when he makes it!

Also, love your blog!

Alice

6. Heather says:

Hey! don’t apologize or be embarassed for whatever your memory of something is. It is what it is and who gives a rat’s ass about PuRrfeXchiOn? Just be you. I think you are cool so don’t start second guessing everything!

7. Icecycle (aka John Stepp) says:

It was a nice flowchart (even though I seem to have flunked out early, damn it*.
    Also have cats and no children; as I get older I am gladdened that my cats will not be able to put me in a nursing home but will probably just leave me out for the rapture**.
    Am thinking that an euthanasia dinosaur might be cloned any day now.
    And watching tornado weather mess up someone’s day***.

*that might have done it.
    **or that.
    ***no fair, I have a camera; where is my damn* tornado?

8. Salime says:

I think you forgot to mention your aversion to cilantro, but good to know about the glass of milk 😛

9. M. O-Town says:

M. Rae,

Two things…1) we need to go bowling; 2) Let’s hang out soon.

M. O-Town

10. Space_Cadet says:

Do you mean you do not understand American Idol, or that the reception is messed up where you are?

Have you read the Celestine Prophecy? Any of the Dan Brown books or JK Rowling books? Are you more interested in fiction or non fiction?

I really enjoy mysteries and semi supernaturals (Clark, Koontz, Harris, Meyers, and other that I am a little embarrassed about), but might be able to recommend other types … that you probably already read *L*)

• I mean, American Idol isn’t entertaining to me; I’d rather just go to a karaoke bar.

I’ve read JK Rowling, of course, but neither of the others. I’ll look into the Celestine Prophecies. I like fiction more than non-finction, although I really enjoy historical finction. I’m currently trying to make my way through the Fire and Ice series by George Martin, which are pretty long-winded.

Don’t worry, we all have some guilty pleasures. 😉

11. Audrey says:

I love peas, but don’t let that stop you reading my favorite book, if you haven’t already: Watership Down, by Richard Adams.

Cheers!