Booby Traps

I grew up in a small mountain town. This meant my brothers and I had to get really creative when it came to entertaining ourselves.

At some point, we decided that we had a feud with the neighbor kids who lived down the mountain from us. I can only guess we hated them because we saw them walking through “our” section of the woods, where we made our forts.

We had seen the Goonies enough times to know what needed to be done. We had to set booby traps. Of course, we had really grand ideas for what the booby traps would look like. We drew up plans, threw them away, and made up new plans. Finally, we spent an entire afternoon setting the traps.

What we thought our traps looked liked.

What they actually looked liked.

As far as I know, we never actually killed or maimed any of the neighbor kids. Sometimes I see kids these days who do really stupid things and I think, “Wow, how could kids be so stupid?” And then I remember that I tried to maim the neighbor kids. I was just lucky that I wasn’t very good at creating death traps at eight. It would take me at least a couple more years till I really perfected them.

And I know it doesn’t look like it, but it took me a long time to draw all of those trees. Here’s another picture of trees that I didn’t get to use because the view was wrong. I’d hate for these trees to feel left out though.

This entry was posted in Childhood Things and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Booby Traps

1. sayali611 says:

Oh one tree is from the city and wears goggles! pfft some people just do not know how to fit in, do they?

2. Sherry K. says:

Very cute and I can relate. I look back at a few things I did or I saw friends do, and think…wow…we just lucked out that no one got hurt. Sometimes it’s pretty amazing the things we accidentally survived…(-:

3. Kathy H says:

hahaha, speaking for the trees you didn’t use… thank you… no one likes to feel left out!

4. How To Get Rid of Obnoxiuos Neighbor Kids, 1979:
    1) Tape empty coke bottle to broom handle.
    2) Place lit bottle-rocket in empty bottle.
    3) Aim. Fire.
    4) Hide Weapon, Act Innocent…

Can you even GET bottle-rockets anymore?

5. melliz73 says:

Ha…this one time at summer camp my counselor told me not to mess with the mushrooms outside our cabin because they were poisonous. I promptly went outside with my hands wrapped in toilet paper, picked 3 of them and tried to get one of my cabin mates to eat it in the hopes they would die and I could have the top bunk. I was 7. I got into a lot of trouble. Thankfully I learned my lesson and haven’t tried poisoning anyone since then. 🙂

6. Loved this. Childhood revisited. I never built traps but I did build dams in a stream and they were not much god either

7. SimonB says:

Love your happy trees.

8. umanbn says:

your drawings are crappy and cool at the same time….(and informative and funny)

• Thank you? Just kidding. I’m getting better as I get used to the drawing pad, but I go for a more simple (that’s “raw” in artist-speak) approach since my time for drawing is limited.