Sex Ed

I know, I know, I didn’t post yesterday. I don’t really have an excuse, except to say I was really tired, I had an episode of True Blood to catch-up on, and a certain book that involves A Dance with Dragons came out.

So, now I guess now I should probably transition to some nerd story. When thinking of nerd stories, it’s always best to start in the beginning, and in the beginning there was sex. I was raised pretty conservatively and my school didn’t teach sex ed, and while my friends and I sometimes secretly talked about how sex happened, our ideas weren’t exactly all the way there (somehow I pictured that the man and woman would have to lay in opposite directions to get the deed done).

I’ve been a bit of a nerd my whole life, so when my mom would drive into town on errands I would ask to get dropped off at the public library where I’d happily spend several hours browsing books. I was probably about 8 or 9 when I first noticed a certain section of the library.

After making sure that I wasn’t being watched by a librarian, I decided to check it out.

And that’s why we should have sex ed in schools, so you don’t have to find out like I did – alone in a library with a graphic book. It was awkward.

This entry was posted in Childhood Things and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Sex Ed

1. Lisa Graves says:

Or finding your parents’ copy of The Joy of Sex in your mom’s drawer when you’re just LOOKING FOR A PAIR OF SOCKS OMG MY EYES MY EYES!

/seriously, SO HAIRY
    //scarred for life

2. Mary says:

I haven’t yet posted about my newfound obsession with George R.R. Martin’s books, but I am currently reading book 4 so I can get to A Dance With Dragons, which I just purchased for the Kindle last night. I’ve read through these books starting the third week of June. My husband just started Game of Thrones and he’s now useless around the house since he gets home from work, takes his Kindle to the garage, and reads for three hours.

3. Kriss says:

My parents were AWSOME, and poster parents for how to prepare your kids. Can’t imagine having to sneak off to library, and having to find out alone in the library. Poor you. Poor other kids. Oh, and poor poor kids in my kindegarten class who made the mistake of repeating what their parents had told them…they were very confused with what I had to say (just age appropriate basics), and my parents got a lot of angry phone calls that night!

• When my then 4-year-old son asked about it, I told him the age appropriate basics, including the proper names for everything– I reckon it’s just as easy for a kid to learn the actual terms, and they’re just more accurate.

We left my son with my mom for a day a week later. When we came to pick him up, my mom was seething: “He said ‘penis’! He said ‘penis'”. To which I said, “oh? okay”.

4. DewNestry says:

I sort of agree. Frankly, I avoided even reading about it in the internet/library. What I did find out I found out against my will.

5. Worrying days when you get the Talk, and you have already had sex.

6. It is funny how librarians get embarrassed when you are checking out a book about sex 😉

7. enoisme says:

When I was a kids we had every channel under the sun on cable. One night we were flipping through the channels & came across two naked people. That’s when I learned or should I say saw what sex was, before I actually had the talk.

8. Anne Schilde says:

I was 10 when my boyfriend and I got a full exposure to his older brother’s extremely graphic magazines. We were alone in a loft at the top of a silo, so probably a good thing none of it looked like fun to a 10-yr-old.

9. TheChronicR says:

We don’t have sexual education at our (conservative) schools either. It sucks. Especially when you find out about “it” through graphic websites on the internet when you are barely in your teens.

10. Laura Watson says:

It’s sad how the world’s becoming, with so many kids relying on the internet to find out about sex. I think it devalues it and sends the wrong message to young people. When is the education system going to actually deliver a programme that addresses this.

I was lucky really to have two wonderful parents like Kriss, above, who prepared me for everything. Hopefully get to do the same for my kids one day!