The Ark of Halloween

When I was young I never got to go trick or treating. We lived up on a mountain, so houses weren’t very close together. Also, my mom didn’t believe in it. However, my church had a harvest carnival every year (which just happened to be on Halloween), so we still got to dress-up and get candy (as long as you dressed up as a Biblical character or something else non-satanic).

My mom was creative and thrifty, so she usually made me and my brothers’ costumes. One year, she dressed us up with a theme.

My older brother was Noah.

My little brother was a zebra.

And I was…

…the Ark.

I’m not sure what possessed my mom to make me an Ark costume from scratch with cardboard, but it’s still to date probably the best Halloween costume I’ve ever had. Unfortunately I couldn’t turn corners well or and no one did anything cute like give me two of each candy, so I probably won’t repeat it.

This entry was posted in Holidays and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The Ark of Halloween

1. SimonB says:

Oh superb.

Of course I never got to dress up as anything as trick or treating has only really caught on here in the last few years. In fact outside of Peanuts cartoons I don’t think I’d even heard of the concept until ET came along. And I still don’t get the idea of dressing up as a non-horror character.

2. underwhelmer says:

In high school I thought I was creative and I got three other friends and we dressed as Alex and his droogs from A Clockwork Orange. All was well until we realized that not many people got the reference, but they gave us candy nonetheless. People in our area didn’t read much or watch movies that weren’t family friendly, so I felt our humor was lost on them. We all felt defeated by ignorance. That was the last time that I dressed up to any sort of group theme. 😦

3. itsa5doglife says:

Funny!

4. I had to wear my Christmas pagent angel costume to trick or treat a couple of times…we were pretty broke, and my Mom had worked hard on it, so I didn’t complain. Every Freakin’ House we went to, the guy at the door laughed and said, “Aren’t you a little early? HA HA!”

Embarassing…but at least I got to go. I had friends with folks like yours – “You will NOT go participate in THAT! It’s SATAN’S NIGHT…”

5. popkron says:

I read your blog for the first time, and very very like it! 😀
    So creative and funny! Keep it up :):)
    +1 to follow, thanks…

popkron.com

6. My church does that same thing. It’s fun and games for the kids so they don’t feel they are missing out on Halloween. I believe my church calls it Hallelujah Party. 😀
    I enjoy it, but never dress up. XD

7. intrepidtraveller says:

Your mom sounds awesome! Home made costumes are always the best in my opinion. My mate handmade a giant pink loofah(for scrubbing in the shower!) for halloween which she wore as a, quite revealing, dress!!

8. DewNestry says:

Home made costumes really are great. My grandma once made me a dementor costume – it was amazing.

9. Love it! My younger sister once went as Wizard of Oz’s Wicked Witch of the East…after the house fell on her. My mom made a cardboard box into a house, and my sister wore it around Halloween night with her black and white striped tights and ruby slippers. Clearly Glinda hadn’t gotten to her yet 🙂