The 9 Layers of Thanksgiving Hell

I was going to make a flowchart about what drink to have in certain family situations, but I got this inspiration instead (don’t worry, there’s always Christmas). Also, this has nothing to do with MY family. I love MY family. But, you know, I’ve heard some people have these problems.

On the plus side, pie is nice.

This entry was posted in Holidays and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to The 9 Layers of Thanksgiving Hell

1. underwhelmer says:

Every family somehow manages to have a racist… or six. This reminds me of why I’m spending Turkey Day in Spain and not with my crazy family. Great post as always. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Wow. If you get off with only a 20 minute lecture, your family is the picture of health. Mine will bring it up at the next family function. For the next 20 years.

3. Jason says:

The loud uncle or the kid’s table is a common choice I’m forced to make. I usually pick kid’s table and try to sneak a drink.

4. olletron says:

You said ‘by’ instead on ‘buy’ :> Yes, we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here in Britain. I’m glad because I find family events such as this or Christmas the most awkward things ever D:

5. We have so many, many relatives that the last time I was home for the holidays, my sisters and I (80% of us in our 20s) were at the kids table. Luckily, we had many bottles of wine. ๐Ÿ˜€

6. booksnob says:

Mmmmm, pie. And wine.

7. Russ Nickel says:

I still remember when my lack of baking skills were first discovered. That one little label has caused so much pain.

8. T. L. A. says:

Haha, oh my gosh, you just described both my grandmothers…Too funny

9. JB Maddawg says:

Two years ago at Thanksgiving, sensing that a divorce was on the very near horizon, I drank most of the Yellow Tail I could get my hands on an repaid my “wife’s” family for years of verbal abuse and non-sensery. I labled my brother-in-law and family as a bunch of hippies, the sister-in-law with a God complex, and believe at some point told my father in law, just because he doesn’t believe in Hell, doesn’t mean they aren’t making a spot for him. Best. Thanksgiving. Ever.

10. DewNestry says:

I think you wrote ‘Aurt Mary’ instead of ‘Aunt Mary’.
    Anyway, I’d take thanksgiving for one of those cool pumpkins.

11. We’ve all been there, to varying degrees…It’s a successful family holiday if I don’t wind up huddled in a corner, sobbing.
    Oh, did I mention I’m in France, with just the Hubby this year?
    Go, me! ๐Ÿ˜€

12. egerardis says:

You are so spot on as usual.

13. Hilarious! And so, painfully correct. But the food makes it worth it, for me, at least.

14. Angeline M says:

We are the parents….the reverse of the usual ones insisting on our kids being present for Thanksgiving/Christmas. We encourage them to travel, and if they don’t next year, we will!

15. mzklever says:

This is SOOOOO my family. I joke that the only way I can spend more than five minutes trapped in a small room with all of them is if there is LOTS of alcohol. Sadly, I’m the only one who drinks dry red wine, so that’s what I always bring.

This year, we somehow got out of it because my mother is mad at me for suggesting that my niece needs therapy. I’m hoping this lasts till Christmas. You rock.

Knowing your feeling about awards (after reading your post about awards!), I still wanted to let you know that I nominated you on my blog for the “Tell Me About Yourself Award.” Similiar to the 7×7, you tell 7 things about yourself (fact or fiction), and then nominate 15 blogs. I’m also super lazy, but, I have nothing else to do, so I did all 15.

Whether you participate in the award or not, keep writing, keep posting, and keep entertaining me. Iโ€™m greedy that way.

http://www.awonderouslife.wordpress.com by Carolyn Bishop, aka Mzklever

16. sharkables says:

Great post! My personal Thanksgiving circles of hell differ some, but almost always involve the traditional family 160 minute dissection and commentary on every Black Friday add in the local newspaper…

17. Anna says:

We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK.
    But yay pie.

18. Pie makes everything better ๐Ÿ™‚

19. LWSpotts says:

Just goes to show you that everyone’s family is basically the same. We think we all come from crazy, not normal stock…well, we do. This just makes me realize I’m not the only one. I do love company in Crazyville! LOL