Shotgun Thanksgiving

After a total of 26 hours in the car, I’m finally home from Thanksgiving with my family.

I learned

• I can drink a lot of alcohol if I pace myself;
  • it gets really cold at night when it’s 15 degrees outside and your RV runs out of propane;
  • I would rather huddle freezing in my bed than get up;
  • my uncle is amazing and will change a propane tank in the middle of the night;
  • deep-fried turkey is delicious;
  • my mother-in-law has an Etsy store and it has the cutest stuff ever, meanwhile, I’m still trying to finish a cross-stitch project I started two months ago;
  • my family owns a lot of guns;
  • sometimes my family scares me;
  • shotguns will bruise your arm;
  • and all of my family is secretly lurking on my blog.

I don’t know what I’m more surprised about – that I didn’t throw up at all or the fact that my family still talks to me even though I swear like a sailor on my blog.

Creative license, I guess.

This entry was posted in Holidays and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Shotgun Thanksgiving

1. Russ Nickel says:

I love how this is a story in bullet points. A whole new genre!

2. its is interesting (scary) when you realize how many of your family members are regular readers… and you never knew!

3. Meanwhile, I can’t get the REAL middlest sister to read mine 😛 Family!

4. …And now you understand why I swear in your comments, but not on my blog…
    My 90-something-year-old Nana would shit a brick.
    There. I said it.

5. underwhelmer says:

26 hours in the car… you’re a tougher person than me. 🙂

It sounds like you had a pretty successful Turkey Day.

Lots o’ booze + Not vomiting = Success

6. Anne Schilde says:

Your uncle is amazing and will change a propane tank in the middle of the night… when it’s 15 degrees outside!! I won’t swear like a sailor about it, but you get the idea.

7. egerardis says:

Sounds like you have a lot to be thankful for.

8. Sara says:

I’m not shocked about the shotgun bruises, but I’m not sure I want to know how you got them…

9. Kashif Ross says:

You’ve got it good… Your family only scares you sometimes.

10. bschooled says:

One of the things on my bucket list is to try deep fried turkey! I would make it myself, but the deep fryer and I haven’t been on speaking terms since the time I tried to deep fry a whole potato.

Another thing on my bucket list is to teach my inebriated self the meaning of the term “pace yourself.”

11. Muddy Socks says:

If swearing like a sailor is your worst offense…you are doing good my friend!!