Support Planned Parenthood

I’m going to take a short break from my regular posts to talk about something important to me. As some of you might know, Susan G. Komen decided to cut its funding from Planned Parenthood. I know, this is controversial, but hear me out.

We may not all agree on abortion, but I think we can all agree that there’s needs to be less unplanned pregnancies and that all women (and men!) deserve access to affordable healthcare. Planned Parenthood annually provides contraception to over 2.2 million patients and provides over 770,000 pap tests, nearly 750,000 breast exams, and more than 4 million tests for STDs, including HIV tests. If you haven’t received services from Planned Parenthood, most likely someone you know and care about has.

I know everyone is tightening their budget these days, but if you can, think about making a donation to Planned Parenthood (you can even donate directly to your local Planned Parenthood).

Thanks for reading this non-cartoon post and I promise not to tell you who to vote for. Well, unless I figure out how to include subliminal messages in my cartoons, then all bets are off.

This entry was posted in PSAs and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Support Planned Parenthood

1. Brava! I’m diverting donations I usually make to Komen directly to Planned Parenthood. The idea that 175,000 women won’t get breast health screenings because of politics appalls me.

2. Rob Rubin says:

Very well said. And in addition to this, we should all go out and vote for Democrats this November. I don’t want to start a political war, but if you care about this issue, you DON’T want Republicans having power on this issue.

• IMSirius says:

“And in addition to this, we should all go out and vote for Democrats this November. I don’t want to start a political war, but if you care about this issue, you DON’T want Republicans having power on this issue.”

Yes. Because nothing is going to get this country back on track better than voting party line on a single issue. 🙂

• Elyse says:

Me, I plan to vote the party line on a whole host of issues: the economy, social issues, fairness, reasonable taxes for all, workers rights … the list goes on and on.

Good for you — I agree wholeheartedly. It goes along with the twisted thought processes that decides that they should prevent contraception, outlaw abortion, and permit “former embryos” to starve, freeze and live in ignorance for want of government services.

Susan G. Komen has some ‘splainin’ to do.

4. Komen has been criticized for how much of the money goes to putting on the fundraising events and administration. It is better to give directly to your local group if you have one.
    It is so illogical to be against contraception if you want to prevent abortion. Prevention of cancer and disease is an important part of these clinics. Many young women do not seek health care anywhere else.

5. Thank you for this post. I as a non working independent student cannot afford cobra which is unreal btw so I go to planned parenthood for my female health services. I was able to take care of my annual exams at an affordable price. People need to wake and realize that they do more than just supply a list of where you can get abortions. It’s crazy.

Cobra is insane. I switched jobs a few years back and was shocked to learn that Cobra costs are 110% of your premium, which meant that I had to pay over $1,200 a month to cover my husband and I. Who can afford that kind of extra bill?

6. Excellent post. I was appalled when I read about this yesterday. Susan G Komen Foundation will no longer receive support from me. Their decision makes no sense. They say they are working to cure and/or prevent breast cancer yet they will no longer provide the funding to Planned Parenthood that would pay for breast screenings for thousands of women that need those services. Shame on them.

7. Angeline M says:

Thank you for posting this. SGK Foundation probably did not see the backlash coming at them when they decided to do this. I’m a breast cancer survivor and have supported this group in the past. No more! And I agree with the recommendation above to donate directly to your local Planned Parenthood.

Glad you’re a survivor! My mom had cervical cancer that went undetected for years because we didn’t have insurance and there was nothing like Planned Parenthood near us. Thankfully, she got through it, but only with radical surgery that could have been avoided if she had been able to get regular exams.

8. Arlene says:

Well, I see all the comments so far have been supportive–and I think that’s Great! Let me add my support for this post. I’m appalled by SGK’s move to defund Planned Parenthood! The grant was for BREAST EXAMS, for pete’s sake!! Uck! The demonizarion of Planned Parenthood has gfot to stop. Good for you for spelling out all the other things they do. I don’t havbe much money to spare beyond monthy bills, but I will put this on the to do list this year. Thanks for alerting us.

9. kdpriss says:

I completely agree with you. SGK is foolish for taking away founding for breast screenings. I’ve been to PPH several times AND HEY THEY DO MORE THAN ASSIST WITH ABORTIONS. Pro life and pro choice is a controversial topic, hands down, but it SGK should know that has nothing to do with helping women pay for breast exams.

I think most people would be surprised to learn that less than 3% of their services go toward abortions. It’s a very small part of what they do.

10. egerardis says:

I just signed a petition: http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/komen/?rc=fbp
    I hope this link works.
    Ellen

11. abracole says:

Thanks for the link! I signed it, and now it’s on my facebook wall.

12. Pingback: Cause « Ramblings of a Bengali girl in NY/DC

13. Great post. Rob’s right … vote Democratic in every level of government or things like this will continue.

PS: I’m confident that you’ll figure out a way to include subliminal messages in your cartoons!

14. Nothing hurt says:

Thank you for informing me! I hadn’t heard this yet, and quite frankly, I am appalled! There are very few planned parenthood locations left that actually offer abortion services, and in several states, abortions can only be completed after extensive counseling including information from pro-life activists. I wish more people could see that PPH offers so much more than abortion services, and that abortion services generally aren’t a “walk in with a baby and walk out without one” type deal.

15. Somehow while I was reading about women orgasming in MRI machines, I missed the vital news, I guess. Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely take your suggestion.

16. Michele says:

Breaking news…they just backed off!!!

17. K How says:

I don’t support Planned Parenthood. I don’t think that the good things they do negate the bad. There are other ways to get affordable health care as a woman through the government, that doesn’t support murdering babies.

• Elyse says:

Not through the gridlocked US Government that believes it is more important to take care of embryos but not women whose lives are in danger because of dangerous pregnancies THAT WILL KILL BOTH THE EMBRYO AND THE MOTHER. Not through the system we have where embryos are more important than babies, than children (can you say let’s cut education? can you say let’s cut medicaid?). Not when embryos are more important than humans. And that’s exactly where the Republicans and Susan G Komen are. I had not donated to Planned Parenthood in a long time. It is now top of my list.

• K How says:

I’m not saying that there aren’t problems, but there are other resources. Pregnancy Resource Centers are all over America. No, they’re not through the government, but they do pretty much every thing that Planned Parenthood does without killing babies. Do you know that Planned Parenthood doesn’t even really educate their patients on the dangers of abortion to the mother, whether or not the baby feels anything, or what it will be like emotionally for the mother when it’s all over? I realize this link I’m about to post is from a Christian magazine and that may cause you to discard it completely, but it’s not the first place I’ve heard the same thing. Women get misled about the dangers of abortion.

The vast majority of Pregnancy Resource Centers are not licensed and provide no medical services, so you can’t even begin to compare them to Planned Parenthood (which is not a government program either), which provides contraception, breast exams, PAP smears, STD testing, AIDS testing, as well as other services (less than 3% of their services are for abortions). The only thing Pregnancy Resource Centers do is council woman against having abortions, in fact, legal action is being taken against them because they do not disclose that they don’t provide any certain services or have any qualifications.

In any case, this isn’t about whether or not you agree with abortion. The Komen Foundation was trying to strip underserved women of life saving services due to politics, which is not okay.

Oh, one other thing. Abortion is not 100% safe, but it is 11 to 12 times safer than childbirth. The bottom line is, every woman should be allowed the right to decide what is right for their own body. The minute you start using religion as a reason to form your policies and laws is the minute we no longer than freedom of religion.

• Elyse says:

We are not going to agree on this. Planned Parenthood is an organization that does a lot for women, particularly for poor ones. You do not need to support the organization. I do. You may support alternatives and that is fine. I don’t think that having another organization committed to women is a bad thing at all. That doesn’t mean that PP should be run out of town by the right wing, which is what they are trying to do.

I am an infertile woman, the mother of an adopted child. Abortion is sometimes necessary as it was for a dear friend of mine two weeks ago. she had tried for many years to have a child and had a pregnancy that would have not made it to term or in the unlikely event it did the child would live in agony for mere hours. Furthermore her amniotic fluid was nearly depleted and within a week her own life would have been in jeopardy. Yet she was treated as a criminal for doing the only possible thing. The only merciful thing. The only thing in the interest of her life and of society. And because it was terminated 1 week before her life would have hung in the balance, she had to not only be treated as a criminal, but pay big bucks for the end of her dream.

Abortion is a complicated issue. The right wing has turned it into “baby killing” vs. “glorious motherhood” and, while some abortions are elective I think that it is rarely a simple choice. Unless it is viewed simplistically. Life is full of grays, not just blacks and not just whites.

(Sorry P&Cs)

No worries, I don’t mind a healthy discussion/debate as long as it doesn’t get ugly. And like I said, I think it’s very unlikely any of us are going to be able to change someone’s mind about a complicated issue like abortion. That said though, I think we can all agree that the vital resources that Planned Parenthood provides should not be under attack.

• Elyse says:

Absolutely. And thanks.

18. Henry D. says:

I disagree with you and the majority of people commenting here.

Planned Parenthood spends the majority of their taxpayer funding for executing babies. Killing a child after it is conceived is not “planning parenthood.” It’s issuing a death sentence on innocent lives to pay for another’s irresponsible actions or selfish motives.

Should YOU be executed because your neighbor got drunk and had unprotected sex? If a man raped your co-worker, should YOU be killed as punishment for it? If that happened, you would be outraged. That is what abortion is… it is killing a person who did NOTHING wrong for the actions of another person.

Planned Parenthood is not a friend of women. Fully 89% of women who have had an abortion regret it and carry that shame their entire lives!

THIRTY MILLION babies have been murdered since the 1970’s when PP was founded.

Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, believed children kept women downtrodden and the more women she could “free” from babies, the more powerful they would be. Sanger is responsible for killing more HUMAN BEINGS than Hitler!

You all should be outraged, not sending them money and supporting them. Whether they provided other women’s services or not, the organization’s not so hidden agenda is to eradicate children.

Oh, Henry.

No taxpayer money is used for abortions at Planned Parenthood. None. And my post wasn’t even about abortion, it was about the other services PP provides. Like I said, I don’t expect everyone to agree on the issue of abortion, but at least get your facts straight.

“Fully 89% of women who have had an abortion regret it.” Reference please.

I’m not going to address the other things in your statement since they are all hyperbole, but I can only assume from your name that you’re a man and you have no idea what it’s like to be a woman in this world. You have no right to force a woman to do what you want with her body. Period.