Taxes Refund: Dreams and Reality

I just finished my taxes, since I learned in college that you can get away with procrastinating until the last minute. I was happy to see that I’m getting a refund, although getting money as an adult isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. As a kid, you think of all the great things you can buy with your money, but the reality is a little different.

I’m still thinking about that last one though. It doesn’t seem very American to not have at least some credit card debt.

36 Responses to Taxes Refund: Dreams and Reality

1. Russ Nickel says:

These are my favorite pictures ever!

2. Yeah. Last year, our tax refund went for braces for one of our kids. There wasn’t enough left over to buy a Happy Meal.

3. That is one expensive dryer!

4. Rob Rubin says:

Great one. What you need is a good rationalization strategy. For example, you COULD pay off your credit card debt, BUT a new computer would enable you to draw cartoons faster, which would lead to more blog posts, which would then lead to more readers, of which one will be the editor of a prestigious magazine that will offer you a sweet deal to write full time with a big salary that will ultimately let you pay off that debt anyway.

5. Rob Rubin says:

And BTW, why does it look like the beach is crawling with leeches?

6. Since I am still a child I wanted to use ours to buy toys. My wife actually agreed until we saw that we would be getting back less than half what we got last year. Instead of goosing the economy with a big Lego purchase, we are paying off our honeymoon credit card expenses like stupid, responsible adults.

7. Jenn says:

Mine is going towards student loans… that dream vacation sounds wonderful though!

8. sj says:

Hee! We did ours in January, and that money is already mostly gone. [sigh]

9. We filed last week, and we already know how we’re spending it: new sofa bed to replace the broken one. And a new catalytic converter to replace the, well, I guess broken one.

I can’t even get excited about the new sofa bed. I really like the old one.

10. Excellent drawings! One of my favourite posts here so far! 😀

11. riatarded says:

Hey!

i am having a little contest over at my blog called The Uninspired Chronicles! I was wondering if you would like to be a part of it!

It’s all about trying to overcome your creative funk!

It’ll be awesome if you took part! Here is the link 🙂

x

12. Wait, so you’re not spending it on more board games for us to play?

13. actuaria says:

Reblogged this on Actuaria's Blog and commented:
    For several reasons, this made me smile 😛

14. I hate using tax refunds for practical things – especially pieces of crap!

15. asoulwalker says:

The bikini-picture is amazing.

16. asoulwalker says:

As is your angry face while kicking the car.

17. I felt the same way when I got my refund. I mean, thank god I DID get one this year, but there’s something very unsatisfying about paying bills with it…

18. aleksledocteur says: