Ads and Gift Horses

You’ve probably noticed some changes to my blog, like the addition of more prominent ads. This is because I’ve sold out.

Just kidding, selling out would imply that I’m making loads of money. Sadly, that’s not the case. I was invited to join WordPress’ beta group for WordAds though, which could theoretically earn me some money, and I know none of my sweet readers would deny me that. Anyway, I’m not completely decided (not sure I like that ad on the right), but I figured I’d test them for a while and see how it goes. As St. Jerome once said in circa AD 400, “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth because one day it could earn you loads of cash.” Or something like that.

If you have any strong feelings about ads, let me know and I’ll try to gently sway you to my side.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Ads and Gift Horses

1. knotrune says:

The ads I’m getting are animated. I hate moving things in my peripheral vision šŸ˜” I don’t mind a few targetted ads for things I’m interested in, that don’t move. Pictures of yarn or kitties for example šŸ™‚ But I’m very much not a fan of ones that move. OK that’s understatement… if there a setting for allowing ads, but only non-moving ones I’d set it. Also, I have a feeling they slow down my connection or whatever the technical term is, we don’t have the fastest one because of where we live.

2. Congrats on the opportunity to sell out! I’m actually jealous. Hope you make tons!

3. Ads don’t bother me as long as they aren’t pop-up’s! GRRR!!! Pop up ads need to go to the land of All That Is Wretched and leave me alone.

Good luck with your beta testing,. I am now going to go click on the ad to help you along.

4. Rob Rubin says:

I don’t think putting up a few ads is that bad. Now that I’m on my own host and have a couple of ads going, I made enough money to buy a frozen burrito. But not just any frozen burrito. An ORGANIC frozen burrito! I’m hoping to work my way up to a Lean Cuisine in a month or so.

5. Congratulations! I hope to have ads one day so like Rob Rubin up there, I might at least be able to get myself a pack of Orbitz gum to clean up my dirty mouth.

• Rob Rubin says:

Rob Rubin was not worthy enough to get selected for WordAds so Rob Rubin left WordPress.com and moved to his own host.

The funny thing I’ve noticed about some of the ads on my site are how completely opposite some of them are to my views. For example, an ad about banning gay marriage often shows up, and I’m as liberal as anyone can get.

Do you use Google Ads? I assume there’s a way to not have ads that are completely against your views (or at least usually you can pick subjects that you think will interest your readers). I applied for WordAds months ago and just got accepted to the Beta, so I assume they are slowly allowing more people to join. At least you have the control to decide where your ads are placed though.

• Rob Rubin says:

yeah I use google Adsense. And I only choose to use square banner ads. I can’t control the type of ad though as they are related to the words on the page being displayed. So the gay marriage thing was a result of my post “A Constitutonal Amendment Banning Celebrity Marriage”.

Perhaps when I get so popular that I can quit my job and blog full time, I’ll actually being in some decent cash from them.

6. Congrats! I started blogging about two months ago with the express intention of selling out as fast as possible. I won’t say I am not jealous. We use Amazon Affiliate links at my blog http://www.unnecessarywords.com; so far we have earned like five bucks and Amazon doesn’t pay you until you hit ten. Needless to say the four bloggers I work with and I are ecstatic that maybe one day we will get to split ten dollars five ways.

If they ask who else you know that wants to sell their souls for fame and fortune, don’t forget me!

7. sj says:

Hmmmm, I have adblock so I don’t see anything! This feels like a late April Fool Joke to me, one that all of the other commenters are in on. <.<

8. Vilipend says:

Do we have to click the link for you to make money or buy something? I’m okay with clicking links ti help you out, but I am too cheap to buy stuff.

I’m also unbelievably offended/will never forgive you/unsubscribing/gained an eternal hatred of unicorns etc.

Good question – I don’t know, haha. I guess clicking wouldn’t hurt, but don’t feel obligated too. I’ll see what happens at the end of the month.

9. alisaacarter says:

I say take the money and run! I don’t care if you have ads on your blog. I’m very good at ignoring things I don’t care about, and if it makes you money, good for you!

10. I wasn’t sure how to respond to the WordPress Ads offer, myself. Curious to see how it goes for you. They seem pretty unobtrusive. I’ll be sure to click through on them! šŸ™‚

Oh, and congrats on (just about) half a million pageviews!

11. As long as you keep producing your awesome blog, I am fine with the ads!

12. riatarded says:

whoops! they are not so bad!