How to Capture the Flag

Like a lot kids, I was awkward and painfully shy. I wasn’t very good at pretending like I knew how to socialize, and kids suck at conversation anyway, which is why they usually just resort to being mean.

So I perfected the art of becoming invisible, which basically meant not standing out in any way, and for the most part it worked.

At some point though, I decided this was bullshit and it would be nice to actually win at something. But what could I do when I only had the power of invisibility?

One day, my class was playing a mandatory game of Capture the Flag. Of course I was picked close to last, so I really wanted to prove everybody wrong. As I was standing on the field, I realized something. No one was really paying attention to me.

Which gave me an idea.

I stepped across the line to the other team’s side, but instead of running for the flag (aka, a chalkboard eraser), I just stood there and pretended to be one of them. I kept expecting some sweaty kid to run up and tag me, but no one did. So I started slowly making my way toward the flag, being sure not to make any sudden movements that would attract their attention (kids and T-Rex are strangely similar).

I waited until everyone near the flag was distracted, and then I calmly walked up and took it. At this point though, my childish zeal couldn’t be contained. I had captured the m*therf*cking flag!

I ran the flag back to my team’s side, which wasn’t really necessary since no one even realized I had it anyway.

And that was when I learned that an underhanded win is the easiest win.

This entry was posted in Childhood Things, Observations and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to How to Capture the Flag

1. A worthy Origin Story…
    So much makes sense now!

You were a brilliant child! Evil, but brilliant. And I love the picture of you in the fetal position!

3. brills! what a great story

4. hayleydid says:

Your posts brighten my day (:

5. Don’t underestimate me beyatches!

6. sj says:

Your grin in that last picture is priceless.

7. hannahrose42 says:

I would say I had a similar experience, but we mostly played baseball and hockey… it’s hard to be sneaky and succeed at anything in those games…

8. Arlene says:

I wish I’d thought of that! I was an awkward, shy kid, too.

9. Did capturing the @#^$% flag change your life in a profound way? PLEASE say yes!

10. P.S. So glad I’m contributing to strengthening the Unicorn population too! I heart Unicorns! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

11. Audrey says:

This is awesome! I remember doing the same thing as a kid – yay for invisibility!!

12. Anne Schilde says:

I got an F in English. Three times. And I never could draw a T-Rex, which I think if I had realized their similarity to kids, might have made it easier, but I would have been #@*^&ing terrified of Capture the Flag!

13. Are these your illustrations? They are so cute! I love them the dark haired one is adorable! x

Yes, they are, and thanks! Are you talking about the one in the green dress? That’s me, although I’m probably more adorable in cartoon form.

14. eyeLaugh says:

Sounds like me when I was little πŸ™‚

15. so awesome.. πŸ™‚

16. Rob Rubin says:

A think this brings back many a childhood memory for most people.

It’;s funny, because yesterday I posted about how much i sucked at sports and had virtually the same kind of issues:

17. The last time I played Capture The Flag; I was struck by lightning. True story…

18. asoulwalker says:

It’s just so beautiful from start to finish. Love the fetal position and the accompanying eyes.

19. kallmaker says:

Brilliant! Thank you!

20. jhymy says:

my favorite blog…keep doing whata you do

21. Angie Z. says:

I’m an underdog person myself and I think underdogs and underhandedness should get along famously. Go team!

22. fringewalk says:

Yaaaaaay! Go you! D:
    ps It wasn’t underhanded! Hiding in blindsight is a valid tactic and turning a weakness into a strength is something most adults struggle to do. Smart child!