Debbie Downers Are People Too

So, I’ve kind of had a rough week. This is a run-down.

Saturday and Sunday: Sick with the stomach flu. Complain a lot, somehow doesn’t help.

Monday: Woke up to the noise of running water. It’s actually a mini-geyser in my front lawn. Because our water main has exploded. As it turns out, you use water for a lot of things.

Tuesday: Still no water. Did you know you use water for showers? And washing dishes? And drinking that clear liquid that’s not vodka? Oh, and the toilet. You definitely use it for the toilet.

Wednesday: Water is back. Water pressure seems to have improved, silver lining? On the drive to work my car starts doing decidedly un-car like things, despite the fact that this car got almost $2,000 worth of treatment in the last few months. It’s the transmission. $4,000. I cry a little.

Thursday: Go through denial about my car. I should let it go! I should save it! Everything is terrible! Cars are the devil! Somewhere in this mantra the top button, also known as the power button, of my iPhone randomly won’t work anymore. Flip a coin to decide who I hate more. Heads for Apple, Tails for Honda. I flip the coin a lot since I’m an equal hate opportunist.

Friday: I’m a little scared to find out what Friday will bring, but comfort myself that I’m running out of valuable things to break. (My computer is already well on its way out. Seriously, there’s a five second lag as I type right now. It takes about 30-40 minutes to upload pictures for blog posts. Pretty positive the Lottery is the clear solution here.)

Not to be a total Debbie Downer (poor Debbie, I’m sure she had something legitimate to complain about too), I am going on vacation next week, and luckily I already paid for it since my future self is going to be in a lot of debt soon. So posts will probably still be slow for the next few weeks, but then hopefully they will pick up. Thanks for sticking with me!

This entry was posted in Observations and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Debbie Downers Are People Too

1. Nichole says:

Hope you feel better

2. Sorry for your misfortunes but I love the way you laid out your rash of bad luck…made me laugh! Have a great vacation!!

Water is really important, so my heart goes out to you. We have frequent power failures and a well. No Power + Well = no flushing. It’s amazing what you realize is unimportant when bodily functions are challenged.

Have a wonderful vacation. I can’t wait to see your pictures! It’s easier to recover from such traumas with a little rest and fun.

4. TRY to enjoy your vacation, and ignore the crap that’s waiting for you when you get back….
    We’ll be here, too, so you’ve got that goin’ for you….

5. Michelle Gillies says:

Try to forget about everything and try and enjoy that vacation because you know it will all be there when you get back. Cars are the devil. There is always something. My Honda has over 400,000K (proof here http://silkpurseproductions.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/this-is-not-about-girls-weekend/) on it now and it is a struggle to not spend any money on it. It looks a bit like a fighter in the 10th round all battered an bruised. Kind of like Rocky 2…not 1 cause that would mean my car would lose.
    Have a great vacation!

My first car was a Honda and I put over 400,000 miles on it before the transmission started to go out. I sold it and bought a new Honda thinking that if I took good care of it as the original owner I could get just as good of mileage out of it, but I don’t think they make cars like they used to (it’s currently 10 years old and has 160k miles on it). 😦

6. That sucks 😦 I hope your vacation is wonderful!

7. Rough week! Have fun on vacation and try to put some of this out of your mind at least for a little bit.

8. When it rains…everything is fucked. This kinda stuff happens to me all the time (though not quite as grand a scale; usually just hundreds of dollars we don’t have instead of thousands) and I am pretty sure it is because Obama exists. Not that he is President; I have actionable intelligence that Obama is actually a time-traveling miserybot whose mission is to destroy the blogosphere through personal sabotage.

9. Grace says:

Aww… hopefully your weekend (and vacation) are much better.

10. musabee says:

Quick, go on vacation while you still can!

11. Well, if you had a great week, your vacation wouldn’t feel nearly as good. It’s all in the master plan. And since your future self will be in debt, why not just tack on a new computer and car to the tally? She won’t mind, I promise.

Hey, while you’re talking to her, can you have her tell me next week’s winning lottery numbers? They’re, uh, for a friend. πŸ˜‰

12. sj says:

I hope your vacation is the best time ever. Drink lots of margaritas for me!

13. Good luck with everything, and have a great vacation!

14. Peggy Isaacs says:

Sounds like it’s a well deserved vacation. Have fun.

15. lolamouse says:

Hope your vacation goes better than your week! Just remember–the light at the end of the tunnel is the headlights of the oncoming train.

16. Break downs always happen collectively (if that is the right word…), as if they’re trying to make you go totally insane.
    In the end, they will win *sigh*.

17. A good vacation may be just the cure! Have a great time! πŸ™‚

18. Anne Schilde says:

I lost a water service line. It’s too late now that you have your water back, but there’s actually this cool trick where you can hook up a hose to your neighbor’s house and get water that way. All you need is a male-to-female converter that costs a couple bucks… well and a neighbor whose water you can reach.

19. asoulwalker says:

I choose to believe that Debbie Downer and Lil’ Debbie are the same person.