Good Fences Make Less Goats

Today I was hanging out in my house when I heard a rustling outside. My cats were trying to do that little growl that just comes out cute and not intimidating at all, so I went outside expecting to have to scare off the typical Bay Area wildlife – like maybe a pigeon or a cracked-out homeless person.

Instead I saw this.

Do you see that? That goat is actually giving me the evil eye while it’s eating my ivy, which incidentally covering the fact that my fence is on the ground. Hence, the goat.

I spent the rest of the evening paranoid that the goat was going to try and eat the only two plants I actually care about, my lavender and my disappointing-but-still-have-hope-in lime tree.

I actually have no idea what goats eat.

Nevermind, yes, I do.

This entry was posted in Observations and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Good Fences Make Less Goats

1. Scritch says:

you should have chucked it a few tin cans. in cartoons goats always eat tin cans

2. Jo Eberhardt says:

Goats are scary. I was pushing my baby in his stroller a while back, and someone had pegged their pet goat (?!) out on the footpath to munch on the grass just outside their front fence. The goat smelled the snacks in the back of the stroller and did this crazy cartoonish lunge at my bag, almost knocking over the stroller in the process. I ended up having to wrestle this crazy goat backwards then drop the snacks on the ground so I could push my baby away safely. Seriously, goats are scary.

3. Wait. Don’t you live in a city? That might not be a real goat. It could be a giant rat.

4. Hate to break it to you, but if he liked what was on offer for lunch in your yard, putting the fence back now ain’t gonna keep him out…
    Did you even know the neighbors had goats?

5. angriestpear says:

Hahahaha! His face is priceless!

Neighbors who are so inconsiderate really get my goat. (Sorry, but I couldn’t resist).

7. sj says:

I know this is a horrible situation for you, but where the hell did the goats come from?!

Not sure, I think someone got the bright idea that they’d raise some goats for money/food, but didn’t really think it through (like, you know, having a secure perimeter, nevermind the fact that our neighborhood definitely isn’t zoned for this).

8. iimpp says:

My mom would love to have such a goat comes around. She would definitely invite him/her to our tooooo wild back garden we pretend it never exist. At least, it’s better than five stray cats who demand everything we have now. Btw, are goats such common!?

Goats are definitely good for clearing out an area. The city actually brings a herd out a few times a year to clear out all the weeds near the freeway for fire control.

9. asoulwalker says:

I am looking at some goats in the neighbor’s yard… looking over the undamaged fence, that is. Seriously, they really will eat anything. It is kind of amazing.

10. K How says:

Oh my word, Rae, I think that’s the most hilarious thing I’ve read all week.

11. Pingback: Goat Pumpkin Lives | Peas and Cougars