Turning 30

turning1 turning2 turning3 turning4 turning5 turning6

I’m just giving my mom a hard time, of course (although she did scare me a little bit). It is really strange to think that I won’t be in my 20s anymore. So far the one change I’ve seen is that I’ll have to start paying more for theater tickets. I guess that means I’m supposed to start making more money though, right? I should make sure my boss knows.

This entry was posted in Human Interactions, Observations and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Turning 30

1. I remember 30…sort of…
    Happy B-Day!

2. angriestpear says:

Hahaha. Happy birthday!

3. Animockery says:

ugh, I am turning 30 in less than 6 months and it is a weird feeling. My 20s felt like they lasted forever and it was such a big time of growth that it will be strange to move on. In the end I think we will rock the hell out of our 30s, am I right?

You look forward to being in your 20s your whole life, so it’s weird to think that they are about to be over. Maybe your 30s are the new 20s though!

4. The Cutter says:

Don’t worry. Thus far, my 30s have been better than my 20s were.

5. Oi! I turn thirty in less than two weeks and it is incredibly surreal. I grew up a bit of a belligerent asshole so I didn’t expect to live this long; I expected to die young and leave a not so good looking, probably battered, possibly stabbed and maybe bullet ridden corpse. On the other hand, I’ve outlived my childhood music heroes like Hendrix and Cobain (and surely accomplished more?).

I feel like nothing is going to change except that when I forget how old I am and tell someone younger that I am in my twenties, I’ll feel dirty, but I am actually nervous about the big day. And with a six month old, I worry that I can’t keep up with him (full disclosure: the kid can’t crawl yet and he already wears me out).

Luckily, everyone I know thinks I am a child and my wife is throwing me a LEGO/Comic Book themed birthday party, so I can’t feel that old.

6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I’ve been thirty for a while now and it’s tricky because I still feel super young and I try to join in conversations with young 20-somethings like it’s completely natural. They immediately excuse me from the conversation with a “Sorry not sorry.”

Sometimes I get confused when I see someone in their early 20s because they look so young and they couldn’t possibly be in their 20s, then I realize it’s because I still consider me and all my friends to be that age (and we started looking older when I wasn’t paying attention).

7. On the threshold to my 40s I can only concur: My 30s have been some of the best years of my life. I am just glad I celebrated my 30th birthday 3 months early (to be able to have a huge outdoors shindig in August rather than a somber November gathering). Happy Birthday!

8. My 30s were so much better than my 20s.

9. I love your Mom’s attitude. It really is a mind thing. I always say I was the, “happiest and healthiest I have ever been in my life when I was 35…except for that whole having cancer thing.” People look at me weird. I love your Mom.
    Happy Birthday.

10. HAHAHAHA!

My thirties were pretty awesome. My forties, though… I’m just getting started, but they are the best!

11. Happy 30th! Great post!

12. I turned 30 this year… so far so good! Its not as bad as you think, honest 🙂 Have a good birthday and enjoy the big 3-0!

13. As long as your friends don’t make you worry. I remember years ago on my 25th birthday a younger friend of mine asked me how it felt to turn a quarter of a century old. Not the most uplifting birthday greeting. Love the cartoons too!

14. jozepanda says:

I was convinced I was never going to make it past 22. I’m 41 next. My thirties were unexpected and surreal.

15. TammyeHoney says:

My 40’s were better and now I am loving my 50’s. Just hate when a dr. office won’t let me put 50 something on my form…Thank you for sharing with your readers and enjoy life a day at a time.

16. The 30’s ARE awesome. Really and truly.

17. I actually *did* enjoy my 30s very much. I felt like I had more street cred somehow than when I was in my 20s.

18. I’m finding it has its pluses and minuses. I’m now actually glad and a wee bit that I look young–I hated it all through my 20’s. I felt like I was being patronized to at times, whereas now people can’t quite figure out my age and give me more props. I used to grit my teeth at it, but it’s nice NOW when ladies say “you look soooo young!” On the other hand, I hate that I FEEL old and know it’ll continue to get worse. I can’t just sleep off an all-nighter, and every injury I’ve ever had has come back to mock me with aches. You enjoy your fun more, but you have it more gingerly…at least that’s me. 😀

19. Frenchroast says:

I’m turning 30 in 3 months. I’m having a princess party! Nevermind my 5 year old niece had one last year, too, LOL.

My husband said 30s are better than 20s, so I’m hoping he’s right.

20. Lee H. says:

I’m getting ready to turn 55 in a month and I can tell you 30 is just a number. I still feel like I’m 17 with all my best years ahead of me except when I look in the mirror and then I’m glad I aged well because I look like I’m in my 30’s. So we have that in common. Here’s to aging well. Cheers!

21. Anna says:

My boyfriend turned 30 this year and I took him to Paris to celebrate. We went to look at some skulls in the catacombs, amongst other general touristy things.

‘Happy 30th Birthday, baby! Here is a reminder that you are so much closer to death!’

I’m a good girlfriend like that.

22. Wait ’til you hit your 40’s like me. It’s a party!!!

I’m lying. It just means you’re 40 something.
    And it’s a lot easier to be bitter. Not that I’m…bitter.

And sometimes everything sucks.
    But you know…life is still good and stuff.
    Yeah. Good.

So enjoy your 30’s!
    They’re “the good years”. Ha.

xo

23. Soul Walker says:

I am four years in… so far it’s terrible. Here’s to yours being much much better! (swallows glass of unidentified amber liquid).

24. I’m afraid of getting old….I’m afraid of age. And I’m only 15 0.0 geez.

25. skinnyuz2b says:

When I turned 30 I was the oldest in my department of around twelve people. Four of them were within a few monthes of me. They made a cake with a big hump in the middle. Their happy faces were on one side, my crying face on the other side, and the hump said ‘Over the hill’. They had been planning the cake for the past year. I considered myself to be middle-aged. Boy, was I jumping the gun. I didn’t know what middle-age was.

26. V says: