Uses for a #2 Pencil, and Other Thoughts

Things that have happened recently:

1. We are in FINALLY in escrow for a short sale house we’ve been waiting for the bank to approve for five months, which didn’t make me anxious at all.
  2. Thought things were going well.
  3. They weren’t.
  4. Had to switch lenders halfway through escrow.
  5. Things got stressful.
  6. Things got more stressful.
  7. We have to move out of the house we’re living in next week and we have not closed.
  8. WE HAVE NOT CLOSED!
  9. I’m beginning to see why cash is favored in the real estate business.
  10. I suck at winning the lottery.
  11. I will probably die in this house because I don’t think I’ll be able to go through this ever again.
  12. Of course, I’m assuming I’ll actually be able to move into said house. Eventually.
  13. I’ve been having especially interesting dreams in the last few weeks. I think this is my brain’s way of taking pity on me.
  14. I’m trying to prepare myself to be house poor. This has basically amounted to me thinking, “I should buy things now while I still have money!”
  15. I’ve been advised this is a terrible strategy. I still spend a few dollars on the lottery every few weeks though because maybe one day I’ll stop being terrible at winning.
  16. I’ve heard winning is nice. Like having fresh-baked bread constantly available. And carbs don’t count.
  17. I hate odd numbers.
  18. I’ve decided to try to start drawing more, with actual pencils and everything. I did a quick 30-minute sketch of my cat during my lunch today (I blame the poor quality on my #2 pencil – classic for Scantrons, but terrible for real life). Her forehead isn’t actually that big. She’s going to kill me when I get home.

pencil kitty

This entry was posted in Cats and Cats, Human Interactions and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Uses for a #2 Pencil, and Other Thoughts

1. UGH! We put an offer on a short-sale house once. The bank didn’t even look at the contract for 3 months, during which time we actually bought another house. I don’t envy you. I hope it all comes together soon!

2. Our house was a short sale; we made the offer in July and closed in October. In between, there were weird changes to the offer and nonsense from the seller’s two lenders, who were actually the same institution. Like in the last week they decided that they had issues because the owner’s son was still in the house (we had come to an agreement about when he would vacate, which he abided by), but in fact they were freaking out because they thought our downpayment check hadn’t arrived–when actually it was sitting on the escrow agent’s desk waiting for her to process it, and maybe if they’d asked about that instead of the owner’s son, they could have gotten that question answered earlier.

Banks are ridiculous.

Good luck with it.

4. photo2life says:

Our first house went into escrow then the person handling it had a mental breakdown, was hospitalized, and no one picked up his cases for weeks. True story! We ended up renting the house we were buying for a few weeks for more than our mortgage payment was going to be. That’s when I knew why people bought a house and lived in it for 50 years.

5. Just found out today that the short sale townhouse I wanted to buy (because I’m getting divorced with 3 kids, 2 in college…not stressful at all!) was declined by the bank because the sellers aren’t delinquent yet. Srsly? They’re trying to be responsible, I want to buy the place they can’t afford and the bank declined? WTF?

BTW, love your cat picture! Good luck, truly, on your new home.

Yeah, it’s a little funny. If you try to be as responsible as you can, they’ll deny you because you haven’t shown a “hardship” yet. Hope you find something else though! (And thanks!)

6. speaker7 says:

The whole process of buying a house is awesome…wait, is awesome the correct word? I think I meant shitballastic fuckery.

7. It is horrible to live in that kind of pressure. We just did that last winter and were fortunate to know someone who needed a house sitter for three months. Hopefully yours will get sorted sooner than later.

8. I am selling my home in Cincinnati as a short sale. It isn’t fun from this side, either. Many, many a tear has been shed. I loved that house. Sigh. I still can’t even see it in the background of photos without wanting to cry. My little home…

Anyway, best of luck! Real estate gives me anxiety. Good thing I now work in a real estate office, eh?

Aw, I’m sorry! I feel bad for the person selling our home too, she had to leave her job to take care of her mom who then died. I can’t imagine going through all the work to buy a home and then have to lose it.

I don’t know how people work in real estate, I’m not sure I could do it! I hope though that you’re able to find another little home one day, maybe on a Florida beach somewhere… that would be great when I come visit! 😉

9. Soul Walker says:

I love her forehead.

10. skinnyuz2b says:

At least her eyes are nice and big (to go with her forehead). And I know what you mean about lenders – I won’t go into it now.
    As for dreams, I’m retired, but trying to find a part-time or temporary job that doesn’t require me working nights and weekends. Two nights ago I dreamt I applied for a temp job at a sauerkraut factory. Is there even such a place? I hope not, because I don’t want to work there.

11. loucyo says:

I enjoy reading your posts every single time. Always puts a smile on my face and I actually LOL in public. Thank you for that.

12. sgabel619 says:

OH MY GOSH!! I’m sorry, but this cracked me up. Only because I’m going through a similar situation. Been trying to close on a house for almost 2 months. I hope everything turned out OK!

Yes, it did! We had to wait five months for the short sale to be approved and it took six weeks to close, but we made it. I hope you’re able to close soon too!