Same As It Ever Was

For the last two weeks, I’ve been living the perfect storm. No, I haven’t been making widows to the sea (unless you count the thousands of microbes lost to the salty tears of frustration, then yes, I have), but I have been really busy at work in addition to moving because, after a long and painful 195 days, we finally closed on our short sale house.

The past few weeks of sheer madness have taught me some important lessons though.

• According to my pantry, I don’t drink as much tea as I think I do.
  • Moving in the middle of the night and going to work in the next morning is only romantic in the movies.
  • I don’t like strangers in my house. (I actually already knew this, but I feel like it’s important enough to restate it.)
  • I am really good at accidentally setting off my house’s burglar alarm.
  • My house has a turret, which honestly should be all the protection I need, but I need to hire some extra archers first.
  • According to my cats, I’m the world’s meanest pet owner for making them move.
  • You don’t get a discount for your homeowner’s insurance discount for having ornery cats, only dogs.
  • However, cats will basically forgive you for anything after you’ve fed them.
  • You should always have a stiff drink around while moving furniture.
  • In an attempt to save money, I’ve cut my cable bill, but none of my friends with HBO have an HBO GO provider that works with Roku. I know, you’re probably thinking “first world problem,” but really it’s a Westeros problem.
  • I’ve moved closer to my work, but my public transit commute takes the same amount of time, which means I’m living in a paradox and quite possibly a time vortex. Not quite sure how to reap any benefits of this, other than the fact that I can cause people on the train who’ve annoyed me to have a longer commute. I may go mad with all the power.

I’ll hopefully be back to regular posting next week, after I’m no longer living out of a suitcase.

This entry was posted in Human Interactions, Marriage and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Same As It Ever Was

1. karmami says:

Best wishes to you…were you kicked out off your former place for having cats ? ..if you don’t mind me asking….

Haha, no we weren’t “kicked” out, but the house we had been living in was being sold so there was a tight window to move.

• karmami says:

Glad to hear that..My girlfriend was given a choice..either her cats had to go or she had to move out…She did what she felt was the right thing to do…keep her precious beautiful cats. I am so very proud of her

2. You do realize that the hashtag should be #WesterosProblem, right? Because it should.

3. Angela says:

We don’t know each other but I can empathize with you. It took us almost as long to close a plain old FHA mortgage and I am in school full-time, and we have three cats, two children, and one vehicle. I found myself in the kitchen with a paintbrush crooning at the house and asking it if it wasn’t a pretty little life before I put the brush down and backed away slowly to find some sanity. It will be a month of living here this Friday and instead of unpacking I will be a brides-matron? in a wedding. I’m writing this comment instead of an assignment for class. You aren’t alone. Eleventy-bazillion miles away in Ohio is a girl who understands.

Girl in Ohio, I was at a wedding last weekend, we must be secretly living parallel lives. My husband wants a third cat, but I start to get concerned when the pets outnumber the people. Mark my words, when cats take over the world he’ll be glad that we only have two to contend with!

4. I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Congrats on your new digs. What a relief for you!

5. I’ve been in your exact spot too, except for the cats, the commute, and having to be at work the next morning. Otherwise I completely sympathize.

6. russtowne says:

Congratulations on closing the deal. I commiserate with the pains of moving and thoroughly enjoyed your post.
    Russ

7. Michelle says:

Hey congratulations on the move! At least that big part is over – you have your whole life ahead of you to get unpacked, haha. I did a similar overnight move once. Never, ever, ever, ever again. Never, ever.

8. I’m really happy for you that you finally got sorted. Once you settle in all the fuss and muss will be nothing but a distant memory. I say that as I am still figuring out where to put stuff and I moved here in March.

9. Happy for you mate.
    A very ‘you could relate with’ sort of write up. Loved it.

10. Soul Walker says:

Stories worth telling are rarely fun to live through. This is why I hate adventures. I kind of like suitcases though… suitcases and cats. I also like it when cats jump into suitcases and poke their heads back out slowly… I’m not sure why I am telling you any of this but here’s to you settling in (raises glass of unidentified beverage).

11. speaker7 says:

Moving is the worst. This is why they will be carrying my dead body out of this house.

12. As a frequent mover myself, I understand your pain! On the plus side-it’s over. No more anxiety of getting everything out on time, and unpacking is the the funnest part!

13. Frenchroast says:

*poke* I hope everything is going okay! Unpacking can be awful.

14. dearfriends says:

What a gift you have for finding humor–and then writing it so the rest of us can chuckle with empathy. We lived with big packing boxes for the kitchen counters (washing dishes in the bathtub) for almost a year–the remodel folks “went crabbing” (yes, we live at the ocean) and forgot to tell us that it would be SIX weeks before we saw them again. We’re still here–and with most of our sanity–and love our little 118 year-old cottage. ENJOY the ADVENTURE–barb