Punctuation

punctuation 1 punctuation 2 punctuation 3 punctuation 4 punctuation 5 punctuation 6 punctuation 7 punctuation 8

punctuation 9punctuation 10

punctuation 11

I think I’m going to try to start a movement that punctuation speaks louder than words. So many possibilities…

This entry was posted in Human Interactions, Nerd Things, Work Life and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Punctuation

1. Kylie says:

You didn’t even mitigate your demands with a smiley face. Harsh. Harsh indeed!

2. its very true.
    i’ve had to coach my partner to put an ‘x’ at the end of blunt sounding texts to soften it up.

3. Personally, I think the fact that you didn’t capitalize “sirs” speaks volumes.

4. My smile for the day. I totally shared it.

5. nina says:

Liking this very much. Just taught a class on assertive communication and wish I’d seen this before class. Would have used it for class discussions (exclamation point)

6. I thought it was pretty harsh when I read that! I guess I’m with you :). Especially that ‘Dear sirs DOT’ just nailed it.

7. Yes.
    There are many who would support your movement.

8. rarasaur says:

Awww, my comment couldn’t be posted it said. 😦 I don’t even remember what I wrote, but — yay! I completely agree that punctuation speaks louder than words. The period after “Thank you” was like a punch in the gut. You are fierce! 🙂

9. Steph says:

This is so funny… I used to joke with my friend at work that whenever I was writing a work email and I was angry about something, I’d just sign off “Thanks” instead of “Thanks!” because I always, always use exclamation marks… and assume that somehow people can understand that me not using one means my tone is pissed off. A “thanks” without exclamation marks seems totally harsh to me for some reason!

Exactly! Whenever I’m annoyed with my husband for something I say “I love you” without an exclamation mark and he’s like “Uh oh, what did I do?” I always feel bad for it later though.

10. Funny. I love this particularly as I am an English teacher. Punctuation speaks loudly!

11. Distinguished Malcontent says:

I had a coworker who wrote all her emails in all caps with red font. No matter what she was saying, it seemed like she was a raving lunatic. Punctuation matters. Or perhaps: Punctuation matters!

When I first started working with people who used Blackberries I just always thought they were mad at me because of their curt emails with little to no punctuation. Then I realized they just weren’t very good at typing on it, haha.

12. Pingback: Punctuation | The Paradox

13. Pingback: Punctuation | somthingbyray

14. Eda says:

Punctuation is everything…at least in English. I recently had a Japanese colleague ask if we could take the commas out of a list of numbers like this: 1, 2, 3, 4… She said it looked “noisy”. I said, “No. Absolutely not. Don’t even think about it.”

15. Eda says:

Note the absence of exclamation points.