To Be Safe, Always Apologize

cleaning 1cleaning 2cleaning 3cleaning 4cleaning 5cleaning 6cleaning 7No matter how much I clean, I always feel the need to apologize for the state of my house. Maybe because that’s how I want people to think it looks all the time? Or I’m just really self-deprecating about my cleaning skills. (Probably both.)

This entry was posted in Human Interactions, Observations and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to To Be Safe, Always Apologize

1. alistairrice says:

It’s the standard phrase when someone comes into your home, whether you’ve cleaned up or not 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. My mommy to a tee 😀 hahaha made me giggle…. thank you!

3. sindyblue10 says:

I don’t really clean when I have friends coming over. I don’t know, I guess I don’t really care about what they think of my room, I mean if they’re my true friends they won’t care either right?
    Also because I’m super lazy.

Liked by 1 person

4. weebluebirdie says:

Yup. I always apologise and pretend I haven’t cleaned at all! Because even with a day of cleaning there is still a whole house needing a paint job and industrial carpet cleaning 😦

Liked by 1 person

5. Jan Moyer says:

I’ll make an effort the first time you come to visit, after that you see the natives in their natural habitat.

Liked by 1 person

I used to do that. I still apologize, I just don’t bother with the cleaning any more. Folks who come to my house know not to eat off the floor.

Liked by 1 person

7. I usually don’t clean up when my neighbor is coming over, or when my best friend comes over…and I apologized the first time, but then they just placate themselves to the state of our house.
    However, when I DO clean (like the toothbrush-scrubbing-micro-cleaning I’m doing in prep for our Halloween Party) I find myself HOPING someone noticed how clean the floor boards are, or how for a household with 2 cats you can’t tell we have animals…some kind of validation.

As a house with three animals, I totally understand. I swear they’ve started to shed more recently, and I’m like, “It’s winter soon! You’re supposed to keep your damn coat!”

8. I have quit apologizing. I am now all “Love me, love my dog(hair).”

Liked by 1 person

9. I simply point at my cat and blame any mess on him.

Liked by 1 person

10. My apologizing has definitely overtaken my cleaning. I can honestly say I never, even at my finest, got my place as sparkly as you did.

Liked by 1 person

11. JM Stories says:

I like to have dinner parties and I always burn or scald or drop something – I recently read in Bon Appetit that you should NEVER apologize – just fan the smoke or blot up the mess or order pizza while you merrily laugh it off. That sounds like such good advice, but I don’t think I can do it. I’m sorry.

Liked by 1 person

12. cass4evs says:

Reblogged this on cass4evs and commented:
    so true haha

13. i8there4irun says:

I always thought that once my kids became teens that I would clean have to clean less before company comes over…Now instead of Playdoh and crayons it’s dirty socks and dishes. And GOD help anyone that invites someone over without me cleaning first!