How to Hang Your Toilet Paper

I know what you’re thinking, is this an April Fool’s post?

It’s not. It’s a very important discussion. On toilet paper roll etiquette.

You’re probably aware that there are two schools of thought on toilet paper hanging – the over method and the under method.

toiler paper

For decades, this dispute has pitted spouse against spouse and friend against friend.

However, that all just changed. In case you’re behind on toilet paper news, a very important discovery was recently made that would end an age-old debate and once and for all prove the correct way to hang your toilet paper roll – the 124-year-old toilet paper patent!

124-year-old-patent-solves-the-over-versus-under-toilet-paper-roll-debateThe patent is pretty self-explanatory, but after sharing this wonderful discovery on Twitter, I learned that there are some people who refuse to believe. Heather at Becoming Cliche and I got into a discussion and decided the only way to put this issue to rest was to have a civilized blog debate. I am on Team Correct-Way-to-Hang-Your-Toilet-Paper (over), and Heather is on the other non-patented way (under).

A Little History on the Toilet Paper Roll

Some form of toilet paper has been around for centuries, but Mr. Seth Wheeler is the “official” inventor of rolled and perforated toilet paper and his company was the first to sell toilet paper on a roll. Below is some riveting language taken directly from his patent (emphasis mine):

Be it known that I, SETH WHEELER, of the city of Albany, in the State of New York, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Wrapping or Toilet Paper Rolls, of which the following is a full, clear, and exact description, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, forming a part of this specification.

…The perforations or other lines of weakness extend only partly across the composite web and break joints with each other, as shown in Fig. 1, whereby there will always be left one end of a sheet extending down in advance of the adjoining sheets, and the pull on the paper by the hand enables the user to always withdraw a sheet without manipulating the fixture with the other hand.

(Am I the only one who thinks he sounds a little snarky? Like, okay Seth, we get it, your toilet paper roll idea is really great. Can we just eat one meal without hearing about it again?)

Anyway, we better move on because I’m not sure how long I can retain your interest on toilet paper.

According to the patent, we’re supposed to be able to get a piece of toilet paper using only one hand and the next sheet should be left hanging down ready and waiting for the next user (it’s only polite), and the only way this could ever work is by using the over method.

After doing a lot of serious scientific research though, I discovered the real problem with the under method is, it was conceived by a masochist. I mean, I like some self-flagellation as much as the next person (so not so much), but no one likes their toilet paper messed with.

Torture Example as evidenced by the Under method

Toilet-paper-underOh, you needed some toilet paper? Sure! You just have to find the end first! But even if you manage to tear apart the roll to create an end, it drapes against your wall, and I have to ask you, how often do you clean your wall?

So you can try the easy-to-use over method…

Toilet-paper-overOr you can go insane. It’s up to you.

Toilet paper crazyIn the interest of a fair discussion though, please go over to Heather’s blog to continue this important debate. Even though there’s no debate. There’s obviously only one right way. Right? (And no April Fool votes, remember, this is a serious discussion!)

This entry was posted in Human Interactions, Observations, PSAs and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to How to Hang Your Toilet Paper

1. puzzleblume says:

I wonder how many couples in the world got seperated or divorced because of that question!

2. I didn’t participate in the pull because “I don’t pay attention” wasn’t an option. I see the point of the “correct” way, but I’m too lazy to figure this out when I put out a new roll.

Liked by 1 person

3. I have been an “over” man my entire life, until the introduction of cats to the house. In order to avoid an unraveled roll on the floor it was easier to switch to an “under” position. Mind you, you do have to get used to claw marks on the roll. 🙂

4. awax1217 says:

I see now what my mistake is. I never took out the sections just used the whole roll.
    Made you think. April Fool

Liked by 3 people

5. Steph says:

Omg, I am so with you, the under drives me nuts! I can’t do it!

6. FredK says:

If you have cats, then “under” ins the only way to go. Cats can (and will) quickly unspool an “over” roll. Though maybe I just have ridiculously smart cats….

Liked by 1 person

While I go with over, I really don’t care. As long as there is toilet paper, I am content.

8. moi says:

Over… it’s the only way, although I do remember lavs that used to have this nasty paper, texture of greaseproof paper that you pulled out in individual sheets like tissues, that’s neither under or over, just pull out

Liked by 1 person

9. In recent years, I’ve wondered if the “under” is a lefty thing. My wife and ex-gf (both southpaws) both put it on “under” style. My wife generally just opts for the “back of the toilet” option, until I come along and put it on “over”, but if she ever does put it on, it’s usually “under”.

10. knotrune says:

Over of course. And I have a cat. Neither she nor my previous cat were interested in toilet paper.

Liked by 1 person

11. I’m the over person in my family, everyone else gave up putting it under because I’d just turn it over and whenever I saw it under I’d turn it over so…

12. Eda says:

I’m a dedicated over as is hubby. I guess that explains 27 years of marriage. That and the cat isn’t very bright.

My pet peeve is girly girls who fold the ends under to make a cute little point. (Although that doesn’t work with under.) If you have to be anal, I guess the toilet is the place to do it, but must we make nice-nice? The toilet is, after all, one of the few places where we’re all equal.

13. squeakytina says:

I truly don’y care. Whatever way I happen to put on the new roll is the right way. But…

14. Pingback: How to Hang Your Toilet Paper | MaryAnn's World

15. Mrs Shoes says:

Seriously? I have rarely visited an ‘over’ facility without needing to use both hands.
    Under is the way to go.

16. Linda says:

Great debate! LOL – Can you keep a secret? I’ve actually changed other people’s toilet paper rolls to over when using their restrooms!